Friday, August 13, 2010

You're turning violet, Violet!


creme de violette is a beauty of a bottle. If you like purple, which consider me GUILTY as CHARGED.
Once considered quite the rarity in the states, discontinued in the 60's it made it's way back last 2007 from Austria. It's a vaguely brandy- based -aromatic floral dream.

I'm a sucker for a violet. My grandmother had an african violet shop in stony creek ct. something that was quite a big deal back in the 50's. Woman business owners+ exotic plants= escandalo!
but, I digress.
The drink to showcase this gorgeous pour- had to be a martini, with fresh lemon, simple syrup, creme de violette & gin. It worked beautifully with vodka as well. But the violet and the fresh lemon really sang out for some ice cold gin. I used my most recent fave, Hayman's Old Tom Gin and it worked like a dream.

A beautiful color, grey bluey violet and an even more sweet and refreshing cocktail.

  • 2 oz gin
  • 1/2 violette liquor
  • 1/2 oz simple syrup
  • 1 oz fresh pressed lemon

shake and strain into chilled martini glass. garnish with mint or twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment