Sunday, February 27, 2011

gin fiz



photo cred: thisnextthing.com
Gin Fiz!
I've never made a gin fiz. I did, however drink too many Sloe Gin Fizzes at a hotel bar in Athens, Greece as a teenager (16 on a school trip)- and I don't even know where I learned what one even was. I probably just liked the word fizz.

What is the story of the Gin Fiz you ask?
It was born in New Orleans.
And it gained popularity in the US from 1900-1940. The first mention of it was in the late 1800's within the Jerry Thomas Bartender's Guide

A gentleman asked me what I would put in a gin fizz this weekend- and we both agreed that It would start with Hayman's Old Tom gin. I love that stuff!

The rest would go as follows:

2 oz gin
1tsp powdered sugar (or simple syrup)
pressed lemon juice from 1 lemon
a dollop of an egg white

shake these all together in a shaker

strain into a high ball with 2 ice cubes

top with soda water.
garnish with a cherry-
spring for the AMAZING Luxardo ones.

you can add special components to fancify, like rose water, or orange water, even a dab of pear might be cool. But be aware that you are straying from the standard tradition listed above.

Oh and incase you were wondering about those sloe gin fizzes they are made the same way- sans egg white & with sloe gin. Sloe Gin is a sweet, red, blackthorn plum or sloe plum flavored liqueur with a gin base.

No comments:

Post a Comment